Edison Real Estate
Edison Location and Transportation
Strategically situated within Middlesex County, this location Metuchen a smart move with a simple commute to New York City. Edison is located less than two miles from a number of the state’s major arteries, which include the New Jersey Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway, Interstate 287, U.S. Highway 1 and State Highway 27, making Metuchen a strategic placement for all major highways in New Jersey.
From Edison, Manhattan can be reached within a mere 25 miles southwest making it a simple ride to be in the heart of the greatest city in the world. What’s more, aside from driving, it is an easy commute to bustling New York City by train or bus, or to Newark, Trenton or nearby Rutgers University in New Brunswick from any of the New Jersey Transit stops.
The transit station, less than a few miles from any one of the homes in Edison, serves as a connection point for many local New Jersey Transit bus routes, making Edison the perfect placement for easy transportation. These routes provide a connection between Edison and Fords, Plainfield, Perth Amboy, Raritan, Piscataway, Metuchen and any number of locations with relative ease. In Edison, if one does not care to walk, convenient parking and other amenities are offered for those utilizing the train station as well. Also, just a mere 15 miles from Edison, air transportation is readily available to travelers through Newark International Airport, also easily reached through a direct train route through New Jersey Transit. Allowing anyone to travel from their home in Edison to anywhere in the world, creating a new advantage to Edison.
Edison began long before the large township was known as Edison. Edison, formerly known as Raritan Township, was first settled in the late 1600’s, when it was part of Woodbridge and Piscataway townships. Its first families included the Dunhams, Martins, Bonhams, Hulls and FitzRandolphs, to whom land grants were given.
Many of these names live on in the community in the form of street names and section names for Edison. But people have lived in the Edison area since prehistoric times. Skull and bone fragments from the Stone Age have been discovered in the Piscatawaytown area, and arrowheads and cooking implements, ascribed to Native Americans living in the area, were found in an archeological dig in the Dismal Swamp, making them the first to have residents of Edison, New Jersey.
Old Post Road, the earliest public road in eastern New Jersey, passes through Edison and is said to have been used by President George Washington as he traveled through the state on the way to his inauguration in New York City in April 1789.
A re-enactment of that journey took place in Edison on April 13, 1989, during the celebration of the bicentennial of Washington’s first inauguration. His route was retraced, and special ceremonies were held at the historic St. James Church on Woodbridge Avenue.
The Bonhamtown area of Edison, also very quiant Edison Real Estate on Old Post Road, is named after Nicholas Bonham, a freeholder from 1682 to 1683. The hamlet is said to have been the site of an old Native American village and later a Continental Army camp and battleground during the Revolutionary War. Making Buying a home in Edison or Selling a home in Edison, a historic investment.
The “Wizard of Menlo Park”
Edison grew in the second half of the 19th century as the attractiveness of the rural landscape became more accessible with the opening of the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Easton and Amboy lines, making buying a home in Edison ideal. By the late 1800’s, many residents commuted to jobs in New York and other parts of New Jersey, making Edison a profitable endeavor.
While there, Thomas Edison invented items that led to for than 400 patents. These Menlo Park inventions include the phonograph, the electric railway (which incidentally, ran along present day Middlesex Avenue) and the incandescent lamp. Christie Street, on which the Edison Memorial Tower now stands, was the first street to be illuminated by incandescent lamps, and Mrs. Jordan’s Boarding House, home to many of Thomas Edison’s workers, was the first residence to be lighted that way. When Edison moved out of Menlo Park, the buildings fell into dilapidation, and the laboratory was even used as a chicken coop for a while before it fell down.
In 1937, the Edison Memorial Tower was erected to commemorate the years Thomas Edison spent at Menlo Park. In 1986, the Edison Township Historical Society erected 12 period street lamps surrounding the tower to commemorate the illumination of Christie Street. The Edison Memorial Tower is located on the National Register of Historic Places. During the first part decade of the 21st century, the township has placed a renewed focus on reviving this historical gem. Fundraising campaigns are ongoing to restore the Tower and develop a Thomas Edison educational center and museum.