Well, it’s February 2nd, yet again. So you know what that means,
IT’S GROUNDHOG’S DAY!!!
Now most of us are familiar with certain elements of groundhog’s day, like Punxsutawney Phil, Staten Island Chuck, that if they see their shadow it means six more weeks of winter, and it’s a pretty great Bill Murray movie.
But here are some other, less known facts you may not know about the Groundhog and his special day.
- The first Punxsutawney Phil began predicting on February 2nd, 1887. Though started earlier by Pennsylvania Germans much earlier in the 1800’s, the first official “shadow search” began in 1887 and hasn’t missed a year since.
- Punxsutawney Phil, the most famous of all the groundhogs, is correct about his weather predictions about 38% of the time, seeing his shadow (meaning 6 more weeks of winter) about 85% of the time.
- Groundhogs are a member of the squirrel family (the largest of said family) and are known to climb and swim very well to avoid predators.
- Groundhogs are known for borrowing deep into the ground in very elaborate tunnels, including a separate area to use as a bathroom… seriously.
- Groundhogs are also referred to as woodchucks, whistlepigs, chuck, wood-shock, groundpig, whistler, thickwood badger, Canada marmot, monax, moonack, weenusk, and red monk.
- There are a large number of groundhogs that predict the weather, aside from Punxsutawney Phil, there’s Staten Island Chuck, Pothole Pete in New York City, and Warton Willie in Wiarton, Ontario, Canada.
- The groundhog lives most of their life alone, socializing with other groundhogs only to mate, but still look out for one and other. They communicate in high pitched shrills to warn other groundhogs of impeding danger
- Groundhogs are herbivores and survive by eating grass and plants.
- During birth, they usually spawn around 6 offspring
- Groundhogs are known to eat a great deal in the summer, fatten up, then hibernate all winter. Around mid October until early spring.
Those are just some fun facts about the Groundhog and the holiday.
Now let’s just pray he sees no shadow.
Did Phil see his Shadow in 2017?
Keller Williams Elite, Realtors